Friday 10 October 2014

Linux Mint 13: Package Refresh Error


Today brought another opportunity to tinker with one of my Linux distros in order to resolve a problem.  (Note:  If you haven't been following along, I have a triple-boot beater laptop that I described here.)  

At any rate, the issue in question was with the update manager.  I noticed a red X across the normally green checked shield located in the taskbar to the left of the date.  A green check usually signifies the system is current with updates and so the red X was problematic.  When I clicked on the "info" this was the error message.


After checking around various Linux Mint forums and attempting various suggestions, including the following command to clean up (and remove thereafter) existing outdated repositories the red X persisted. 

sudo apt-get -f install


Following is another error.  


Ok, so evidently, the problem is with the repository index.  Another check on the web yielded this fix, so it was off to a terminal I went and input the following commands.

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

This seemed to resolve the red X problem.  The customary green checkmark was visible in the shield, but ten minutes later, although the system apparently updated, the problem has returned and the red X is back.

I'm sure there is a simple fix for this problem (hopefully) but as of this writing, I haven't yet found it.  Stay tuned.